Monday, June 11, 2007

Week 2

Week 2 begins and at the end of the day, I realized a tell-tale sign that my brain is slightly overwhelmed. I haven't touched the car radio since starting fieldwork. My heads so full processing all this new information that by the end of the day, I can't listen to anything. Silence has been a critical part of my day. That's one thing you definitely don't get in the hospital. It's always buzzing with some action at the nurse's station, alarms from machines, visitors coming in and out, and carts of food trays, meds, and other medical parapanliea wheeling about. Just about every patient seems tired and it's no wonder why. It's seems nearly impossible to get some solid rest. I suppose there are a few things you must give up when entering the hospital... privacy, homecooked food, and peace and quiet. But I guess it's trade off, in return you get 24-7 medical care and rehabilitation services. And I suppose for people that need to be in a hospital, it's worth the trade.

Everyday in fieldwork is a challenge, just as everyday as a patient in rehab is a challenge. Once you accomplish one step, the therapist just adds another step. At the beginning of my first week I was mostly observing and learning my way around. Midway through the week, I was writing progress notes in the charts, and towards the end of the week I was planning treatment sessions. This week I'm leading sessions for two of "my" patients. Of course, my supervisor is present for the treatment sessions and helps me to plan and process my observations into a progress note, but little by little I'm becoming a "trained professional." Gotta run and write some treatment plans (in peace and quiet)!

No comments:

Note to readers...

All names and identifiers on this website have been changed to protect confidentiality. Any similarity to anyone living or dead is strictly coincidental.