Thursday, June 7, 2007

STAND BACK, I'm a trained professional?

Leaving classes this became our mantra, "STAND BACK... I'm a trained professional." And while we said it with a grain of salt, I never fully realized how BIG that piece of salt really is. There's so much I don't know! I feel like I'm in 3rd grade math class during the first week, looking through the last few chapter of my textbook thinking, "Holy cow, how will I ever learn all this?" My only vote of confidence is that by the end of the year, I could do long division and all those crazy word problems in the back of the book. So I'm not panicing yet and feeling pretty comfortable with not knowing everything just yet. It's just at this point I'm not sure who I'm relating more- the patients or the therapists. "You want me to do what!" "I can't do that." But the amazing thing will be that in a few weeks, we'll all be able to do it, especially with such great teachers around.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i have every bit of faith in you- you nerdo you!!

Anonymous said...

Acknowledging that you don't know everything is HUGE and extremely important at this stage of the game. In fact, it's important to know this throughout your career... you'll never know everything and you'll never stop learning or growing.

Typically, supervisors do not want to see over confidence or deal with know-it-alls at FW level. This type of intern is usually red-flagged as dangerous. The gaps in knowledge and experience will always get found out, but at what cost?

To be able to absorb as much information from sessions as you do, and still be able to reflect on your own performance without losing sight of the patient shows remarkable insight. Hang on in there... you're doing just fine.

Take heart...I guarantee that every single therapist that was writing a note in the fishbowl at the end of today has been through this "I know nothing" phase and come through.

britta said...

You are a natural therapist. what you lack in experience you can easily compensate for with your intuition and commom sense. You go girl!
anne from westfield

Anonymous said...

I still can't do those third grade math problems! (no joke!) anyhow, I am enjoying learning about your adventures in OT- so glad you have found something you love!

Kristen Mallette said...

saving the world. keep it up.
your drive to BE BETTER inspire me.

Note to readers...

All names and identifiers on this website have been changed to protect confidentiality. Any similarity to anyone living or dead is strictly coincidental.