Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Business of Making Simple Dreams Come True

"I used to dream of having a big house or fancy cars, now I just dream of having a shower!" Luckily for Mr. M, I was able to make his dream come true yesterday. A shower seems like such a simple act of everyday life, but it's not until you can't do it when you realize it's often that which matters most.

Update on my caseload... I'm currently on Week 9 out 12 and seeing 7 patients per day. Today 3 of my afternoon sessions were cancelled. Mr. G went out for an MRI in hopes that it will bring some answers to the intolerable pain radiating from the left side of his neck to his eye. Mrs. E was complaining of nausea when I walked into her room. Two minutes later I watched her lunch and 4 pills come back up and into a bucket I was holding. Mr. M once attempted to reschedule our session once again, complaining of fatigue after working out with physical therapy. I agreed to let him rest until the AM, but we had an intense discussion regarding the medical profession. Having had his 1st heart attack in 1984, he has had many years experience as a patient and feels "that he has been battling the health care system." His fight appears to be focused on all the external factors and what they have or haven't done for him. The doctors, the meds, the insurance companies. He feels misguided, mistreated, and even "bamboozled" by them.

On one hand, I agree with him. The health care business is just that, a business. A business that is overwhelmed and filled with bureaucracy and politics. And sometimes amongst this business individual patient care is compromised.

But on the other hand, who's body is it? Who's ultimately responsible for the care of oneself? You buddy! So instead of spending twenty minutes complaining about how the system is taking care of you- take care of yourself! Do your washing up and getting dressed with your OT! The ultimate problem is that many people don't realize that they have control over their health. Each moment you the choice of how to spend that moment. Many people just live their lives until a problem arises, then they see a doctor and look for the magic pill that will make them better. People would do better looking for the Transformers "AllSpark" or the fountain of youth!

Well that's enough ranting and raving for one night!

4 comments:

Georgie said...

See thats why I take such long showers! Carpe Diem!! I'm just trying to live my life to the fullest and if that means high water bills, well that is a price I have to pay.

Sweet AllSpark reference almost as funny as telling the waiter that the chocolate cake looked like the AllSpark.

Lauren said...

amanda. thanks for your posts! i love them all. i love that you helped make a dream come true- that is OT baby! i am excited for my rehab placement after reading your exciting stories. it is so intense and now i am beginning to think that 12 weeks is not enough. i don't want it to end. i am glad you are doing so well. i can only imagine how well you are doing! way to go!

Anonymous said...

Dude, do you know where I can find the AllSpark??? I would totally turn my car, my iPod, my PS3, my TV, my toothbrush, and my computer into transformers.

You bring up a good point about our hellthcare system (oops, is that a typo, hmm). Just today, one half of the coolest couple I've met so far, married 60 plus years, said to me, she has to get her husband out of here before this place kills him.

How far does Iatrogenesis go, is the entire healthcare system Iatrogenisized? When I spell it that way, it sounds like Iatrogenocide, connection, no, yes, maybe.....you decide.

Steph LeBlanc said...

Man, do I know what it feels like to so badly want to take a shower. Seriously. I never thouht I would want anything more in life. I can't imagine how some of your patients make it. I had to wait 8 freakin' days! Thank goodness for the kind nurse who allowed me a little slice of heaven on day 9.

Your blogs are great. Even if we play phone tag for weeks on end...at least I can read about what you do all day! And, I too, loved the AllSpark comment. Such a great movie :o) Love and miss!

Note to readers...

All names and identifiers on this website have been changed to protect confidentiality. Any similarity to anyone living or dead is strictly coincidental.