Tuesday, July 17, 2007

all in a day's work

Just got home from grocery shopping. Signed my receipt, Amanda Hamm OTS. Just couldn't stop myself after signing notes all day long. Growing up I always wished to be famous and pictured myself signing autographs. Guess part of that dream came true.

Aside from writing and signing notes all day, it's funny to think about the day to day nuances of being an occupational therapist. For instance, all within the past week I have done or observed the following:
-given an 83 year old woman a mohawk
-patiently watched the same woman take 5 minutes to clasp her bra
-pantomimed wiping oneself
-been slightly responsible for flooding hallway
-taken patients to the beach and down a country road (all by visualization)
-held a bucket under a commode while someone "relieved themselves" into it

All in a day's (field) work I suppose. Ah, the joys of everyday living! Imagine how amazing it must feel to shower or step outside for the 1st time since being hospitalized. I feel so lucky and priveleged to be a part of these people's daily triumphs! (Even if it is holding the bucket under the commode as they go on it for the 1st time since their stroke!)

No comments:

Note to readers...

All names and identifiers on this website have been changed to protect confidentiality. Any similarity to anyone living or dead is strictly coincidental.