Friday, October 5, 2007

Sensory 202: Let's Integrate!

Okay so we have 10 senses, so what? The so what is that our nervous systems have to constantly process this information- selecting, ignoring, and choosing an response. While it's something most of us do effectively, some people's nervous systems have differences that make even simple activities of daily life difficult, even impossible. As the nervous system develops it becomes more and more efficient. Children with developmental delays often have an immature nervous system. This makes their world look, feel, and sound a lot different. The resulting behaviors are often curious and misunderstood, but analysis through the lens of sensory integration theory may begin to unfold the mystery.

The magic of therapy based on sensory integration theory is providing the child with the type, amount, and intensity of sensory input so that their nervous systems begin to process and integrate this information more effectively, making learning possible.

One of my struggles with this theory is the social judgement which determines the appropriateness of certain behaviors in children today. Perhaps with today's standards, my mother would have determined me a candidate for this therapy. I couldn't stand any labels on my clothes, drank out of a bottle till I was five, and could only sleep after my dad tucked in my sheets so tight and put all my stuffed animals around me. Strange behaviors, sure. Sensory Processing Dysfunction, not quite because it didn't interupt my learning or everyday function. Or did it? What would I be doing different today if I had receiving treatment? What's normal anymore? And who's to judge?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"One of my struggles with this theory is the social judgement which determines the appropriateness of certain behaviors in children today. ... What's normal anymore? And who's to judge?"

I'm so glad you wrote about that! I often have questions about that too. What is "normal" and why is the goal to normalize people anyway? I don't consider myself to be "normal," and am quite proud of the ways in which I am not. Why should other people, particularly people with disabilities be forced to pretend to be normal or try to "pass" as normal? Is that really what OT's should be aiming for? If not, what should we aim for?

I guess the best thing is to figure out what the client wants, right?! ;) I guess many people do want to seem normal or want that for their children whether or not their children want that for themselves.

Note to readers...

All names and identifiers on this website have been changed to protect confidentiality. Any similarity to anyone living or dead is strictly coincidental.