Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Sensational Start at SI Clinic

Imagine spending your work day barefoot- jumping into a ball pit, swinging on a trapeze, climbing up a mountain of mats and then crashing into a giant stash of pillows. Yes, life is much different in the world of sensory integration (SI). Goodbye wiping butts, hello blowing bubbles. Instead running around a hospital to see 8-10 patients a day, I indulge in hour long sessions with 5-8 children per day. No foul smells, no obnoxious doctors, no 12 hour work days! I actually have time to read and observe. I can write this entry at work! Hallelujah! I love pediatrics!

However… I am once again learning a new vocabulary. Ideational praxia, gravitational insecurity, and vestibular discrimination are not terms that just roll off the tip of the tongue. And sure we went over these definitions in school, but actually observing a child and being able to identify them as such is a whole nother bag. But nonetheless I am excited to jump around, roll over, and crash into this bag!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you don't miss bedpans and obnoxious doctors! And I can't believe we're losing you to a padded cell and bubbles... I hope the novelty wears off soon and you remember where the real OT work happens ;-) Just for the record, only enthusiastic students do 12 hour work days in rehab. Yesterday, we were ALL back in the office working on other projects, doing research, and singing by 3pm.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds so awesome! I'm totally jealous!!!

Note to readers...

All names and identifiers on this website have been changed to protect confidentiality. Any similarity to anyone living or dead is strictly coincidental.